Rabbit Awareness Week (RAW)
17th – 25th June
Rabbit awareness week is about how we can support the welfare of rabbits, this plays a huge part in helping to raise awareness about their correct dietary needs and the five freedoms that rabbits need to live happy and healthy lives.
Five Welfare Needs
The 5 freedoms as set out in the Animal Welfare Act (2006) are as follows:
1. Freedom from thirst and hunger– rabbits should be provided access to water, grass/hay or both at all times. They should be given a couple of meals a day consisting of lots of leafy green vegetables and a small amount of hard pellet feed.
2. Freedom from discomfort– rabbits should be kept in a clean environment with plenty of space to move around and should have shelter from extreme temperatures. Furthermore rabbits have sensitive feet so ideally need to be kept on a deep bedding.
3. Freedom from pain and injury– rabbits are prey species thus often hide signs of pain or injury. If you notice any unusual behaviour or injuries (even if the rabbit appears okay in him/herself), we recommend seeking prompt veterinary advice.
4. Freedom to behave normally- rabbits require plenty of space as they would have in the wild; they need room to move. Ideally rabbits should be provided with tunnels, this will stimulate their natural ‘burrowing behaviours’. Finally they should be kept in pairs or groups for company.
5. Freedom from fear and stress– rabbits should be kept somewhere separate from their natural predators, ideally away from louder noises to reduce stress levels. They should also be provide with hiding places so they have an ‘escape’ from stressful stimuli.
Happy Hoppers Event!
Why not pop along to our surgery to meet our fantastic staff and see what our practice has to offer. We will be holding a rabbit afternoon designed to make you feel bright eyed and bushy tailed. Our very own vet will provide two 20 minute talks and will be happy to answer any questions you may have. We will also be fully supported by some local rabbit enthusiasts. Refreshments will be provided please see the link below for further information on our event.